Crafty Valentine's Day Ornaments



I finished up a project yesterday that I'm very happy about! Over the Christmas season our three year old, Reagan, had a little tree in his room that we decorated together. He absolutely loved having it. WE loved that it was excellent leverage in parent-three year old negotiations. I decided he could keep the tree and we would change it up for the various holidays, although he still calls it his "Beautiful Christmas Tree." In January, a month lacking a holiday, I added a string of farm animal lights that he adores. For February, I wanted some cute felt hearts. After several shopping trips(found nothing!) and shopping online (too expensive!) it seemed like I would have to make them. I mentally geared up for a trip to Joann Fabrics. Then I stumbled on the perfect little kit at Target!!





 It was perfect and very affordable at a mere $7.99! I know that if I had to buy all these things separately I would have had leftovers I didn't need, and would have spent way more!





The kit came with six pre-made hearts, smaller cut out felt hearts, buttons, and embroidery thread.


There were great examples on the box to get your ideas flowing!





I used some of the smaller felt hearts to make extra ornaments for him. The pink one on the right was the last one I worked on and I had run out of things to attach to it! Ooops.



Totally copied this button one right off the box, but I really liked that idea!


I wanted the hearts to look handmade and homespun! I love the stitching.





I wrapped them up like a proper present and waited for Reagan to wake up from his nap. When he did I surprised him!


He loves presents.




He was so surprised and happy! He had fun decorating and I even let him hang two on the same branch. It IS his tree after all. I kind of teared up a little, it was a special mommy-Reagan moment. He agreed to be my Valentine. :-)

There's still time until Valentine's if you want to try this! I took my time (procrastinated) and worked on them a few at a time. I think if I had sat down and just focused it would have easily been an afternoon project. I even had a momentary thought "this is so fun and easy, I could do this for a living!" hahahaha

-jamie

Comments

Popular Posts