Antiquing Shenanigans and a Kitchen Shelfie Facelift



Antiquing Shenanigans and a Kitchen Shelfie Facelift

Last week we hit the antiquing road and headed to Bouckville looking for a simple pine dresser for my bedside table. Madison-Bouckville is an area known for antique and collectible shops and shows, the biggest being in August, and nice little one in June. I need more drawer space in our bedroom since I recently used the KonMari method on my wardrobe. My husband has one on his side that I would like to mimic on my side....all about symmetry! This is a photo of my husband's bedside dresser the day we bought it. I really want another one that is simple and small.





It is early spring here (which means it actually snowed last night) so the majority of the antique shops in Madison and Bouckville only have weekend hours, and this was, of course, a weekday... We found two bigger shops open (co-ops that have multiple dealers), so we checked them out!
At the first stop we found a beautiful drop leaf table with two leaves, marked $25, right on the front porch. We were not supposed to be looking for a table. I have been in the market for something smaller for our "dining room." I put it in italics because it functions more as a storage area/mudroom and casual lounging area. The chairs we have are comfy and upholstered. I had been checking out some Eames inspired tables on Amazon, and almost ordered one a couple of weeks ago. 



I am glad I waited! It might be slightly bigger than what I was thinking, but it works perfectly, because it visually makes sense to have the chairs pushed into this more substantial piece....and since the chairs are being pushed in, there's more room all around when they are not in use. The other benefit is that I have been looking for solutions for making a long harvest table set up in front of the fireplace for when we host large family gatherings like my mom's birthday or Thanksgiving. This table combined with my farmhouse table that is in the Family Room should work! (Full disclosure I am still looking for a giant harvest table to fulfill my vision, sorry honey if you're reading this.) So back to the $25 table....it turned out that was the price the dealer paid for the table at an auction the night before...and she hadn't had the time to price it.  I was a bit in the mindset of "umm ...kind of not my problem??" But she was on the phone with me...a common co-op happening...and was very sweet and said she was going to price it at $45...<which is still a steal>....but I said "I can go $40" <because I've been dickering with antique dealers since I was like 8 years old and IDGAF> and she said "that sounds perfect!" Phew! I still would have liked to pay $25...and yet...I was there for a dresser....so....onto the getting into the actual store and seeing the other merchandise! And hopefully a dresser. Here is the table after we got it home.




The store is in a beautiful old Italianate home and is packed with goodies. <If you're local and interested it is called Victorian Rose Vintage Antiques in Bouckville, NY> I was tempted by a half-price Gemeinhardt flute I have no need for, as I have a flute that I haven't played in years. I found a set of Corning PYREX nesting bowls that I really don't need but they are beautiful and colorful!  I kept my vision pretty focused on finding a dresser so I didn't come away with as much as I might have. PS We did NOT find a dresser.

Bringing home a new, colorful kitchen accessory inspired me to clean and update the shelves in our kitchen where I display them. In general, I find my zen in a simple palette, white dishes, clear glass. I do, however, have an affinity for mid-century or war era colorful goods in the form of pyrex storage, Fiestaware, Jadeite, and glass fruit paperweights <because why not, really> 

Without out further ado, here is a "before" I started. 


You can see evidence of how the life of a family with little kids has crept into my carefully curated shelf styling <lol not..I'm a hoarder> So I started by taking everything down and dusting and cleaning everything. Some of these things we use regularly, like the pyrex storage boxes. Some things get used much less, or not at all...like the Fiesta pitchers, and the Ironstone soup tureen. The whole thing is just crying for help.


It's like a little party with all my friends. Okay so starting with the green nesting bowls at the top! Then clockwise around!
  • Jadeite nesting bowls I bought at a show in Old Forge, NY. It was our anniversary and the child-free day trip was our gift to each other.
  • The NEW Corning pyrex nesting bowls. I believe it is missing the smallest bowl, which is green and I'm already scouring eBay for. 
  • Green Fiesta pitcher or syrup server (?) that is what I use it for. I bought it antiquing in high school <Nerd Alert>
  • Yellow water pitcher that was a wedding gift.
  • Rose colored vase that I love because the color is so beautiful and it reminded me of McCoy <which I also have a little *problem* with>
  • Unique Blue Willow planter with a fake plant in it that I can't kill, partially because these shelves are over a giant radiator.
  • My blue dollhouse wing chair...because my two year old is obsessed with it and currently cannot reach the top shelf here.
  • Aforementioned fruit... a lemon and an orange. Need an apple next.
  • Depression green glass measuring cup...my great grandmother had one that my mother inherited and broke accidentally with a hot-cold water situation...so for years we looked for a replacement....so all I see when I antique is green glass measuring cups...they just pop out at me SOOO I own two. The other one is by the stove.
  • Ironstone soup tureen that my mother bought for me at the estate sale the previous owner of our home, Mame, had.
  • Pyrex storage set..the little red ones are in the fridge when this photo was taken storing some leftovers.
  • A Stangl platter from their "Colonial" collection. Mame had an extensive collection and sold a lot of it at her estate sale. She hid three platters for me in the kitchen as a gift. She told me she doesn't entertain much anymore and she wanted them to be used. 💔Love her
Okay so now you're all caught up with my not-so-secret magpie tendencies...here are some progress pics....

I debated adding in some blue and white plates with the "Phoenix" design that I love. Not a fan..



Plates gone, trying some ideas...these progress photos are not for effect...this is me trying!


Getting there....


Someone has spotted her favorite chair....😝



Happy with it!! I added in a little beach landscape that used to be there but kept falling so I moved...trying it again! I also felt like I needed more <fake> plants to bring life to this display. This potted succulent is from Pottery Barn last year, or the year before and I put it in a McCoy planter that my mom had. She told me it was from either when I was born or my sister. It came holding a congratulatory floral arrangement. That makes me love it more! I also brought my Jadeite mixing bowl from the other side of the kitchen 1) because I needed something with a little heft and 2) it freed up a little space on the shelf by the stove. I use it a lot, but can still get to it. I love that the nesting bowl sets are easy to get to here because I would like to use them more.

SO that's my story, friends! I hope you enjoyed this glimpse into my mental issues collections. -jsm













Comments

Popular Posts