Little Boy Room at the Red House

 I have a new project! <I know, shocking>


I have been working on a post to update the blog about the facelift I did to the kids' joint bedroom. I am sort of at the point with the post that I just need to get some photos of the room, and it is constantly a giant mess. 😬 While I've been working on that post, my son decided his sister "was taking over with her junk" and he was ready to move out.


He has moved into the tiny room that was once our daughter's nursery. It was used by previous owners as an office and sewing room, and has no closet-so it isn't technically a bedroom. We can fit the essentials in the room and he's happy to have a place to call his own, while still being close-by next door to his sister.


Work in Progress. The door behind his dresser goes to the attic that we use infrequently, so we just pretend that it is a wall.

The thing about this room is that I have been chipping away <literally and figuratively> at the trim work in this room since we've moved in. I decided if he wanted this room that the trim needed to be fixed up ASAP. 

The trim in this room suffers from the same ailment as most of the other trim in the house, like in the Gathering Room (which I shared in a post recently) The owner that lived in our house from 1957 had the trim painted with oil-based paint in cool colors like greys and greens. When the owner we purchased the home from moved in, she painted over the oil-based with latex in warm colors like yellow and red. She quickly learned that was a bad plan, and even shared that with us before we moved in (we were already in escrow) that the paint never properly stuck to the oil-based.


So I have been spending 1-2 hours a day while our daughter is at pre-school scraping the paint down to the oil-based layer with a razor. I don't know how long it is going to end up taking, but it feels like it might be forever. Once it is scraped, I will lightly sand and use a deglosser product before I prime and paint. Then hopefully never have to do it again! (In that room.)


Here are some photos of what I'm going through!



These white chips are primer scraped off that I painted when I made my first attempt at painting the hallway nearby. In some areas I painted over the yellow with it and I don't trust it will last long. 

I'm trying to get down to the grey-ish paint on all the trim.




It is not fun and very time consuming, but will be worth it!

-jsm

Comments

Popular Posts