Holiday Tour 2015


Welcome to a little Holiday home tour! I wanted to share all the decorating I have done this year, lots of photos!





I raced to finish re-painiting the living room by Thanksgiving, so that we could have a fresh new look in here (finally!) in time for the holidays-and THE TREE! The living room had not been painted since we moved in over 4 years ago, and probably another 15 years before that. I blame the unoffending "popcorn" color. It was livable, but finally pushed me over the edge. This is the largest room in the house, and has four windows that needed to be painted, too (hello edging brush, my BFF!) so the project took a little over a week. I painted it Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore, and am just over the moon about the change it has made in here!!!






I have been reluctant to add back art to the walls, but came across this while I was cleaning, a print advertising a Christmas event at a local historic site. I had framed it years ago! I'm thinking it can go in the holiday décor repertoire now!








On top of the hutch in the corner, I have the majority of my great auntie's old Christmas village. I've also heard these little houses referred to as as German Glitter houses (by Pottery Barn) or Putz houses. I'm pretty sure she bought them all over time at Woolworth's. Some of them still have the price tags on the bottom!





I used them in my cloche as well to make a little winter scene. This might be my favorite thing this year. I used flameless candles on a timer and there's also a string of LED lights that I can turn on. It's kind of magical.






A little fresh greenery mixed with some faux berry branches in my Tuscan vase. I scored big at the tree farm this year! They have a huge burn pile of parts customers cut off their trees, or branches from the farm that they trimmed. They told me to take as much as I wanted, and I did!! I love the Scotch pine so much. I'd never pick it for my Christmas tree, but it's great in wreaths, arrangements, and I have it in my window boxes as well. I made all my own wreaths for FREE! 






My Christmas village came with a few original trees, and I bought some more at Michael's. The whole lot was $11. I sprinkled them all around the house and they add so much vintage charm.



The little blue house is my favorite. Shocking! (blue is my favorite color, if you're new here)



Over the summer, I threatened this amaryllis with the compost bin because it hadn't bloomed in 2 years. Then, it bloomed in the middle of July! Yelling at plants works? I haven't threatened it yet this season, but am thinking it can't hurt!


Our adorable Charlie Brown Christmas Tree! It plays the song and our two year old thinks its so funny.


Another score from Michael's, these galvanized lantern houses are just perfect on our mantle!



I finally made a decision on what our family stockings will be! I decided not to personalize them, but we do have some glitter letters now (since I took the photo) so we can tell them apart.




A closer look at some of our ornaments. We like to collect them when we go somewhere on vacation. Sometimes we receive them as gifts, and write the year and gift-giver's name on it so we always think of them when we decorate. We also have a lot of ornaments from our childhoods, and ones that commemorate life events (first Christmas, wedding, babies) It makes decorating the tree a nice trip down memory lane. (The tree looks crooked here, but i think that was just the photographer.) (me)





I made a little arrangement with a mason jar lantern in my beautiful handmade bowl from Cazenovia Cutblock, a gift from close family friends for our wedding...sadly their son who made it passed away this month unexpectedly and I'm very honored to have something so special that he made.








I went all out with pillow covers this year. I wanted the plaid covers from Pottery Barn, but this year they were 22" and all my pillows are 20". I found inspiration on Instagram to buy a 4 pack of the cloth napkins and DIY! So for a total fraction of the price I have 4 plaid pillows! I used drop cloth for the pillow backing. Then, I had a rewards coupon and treated myself to the Woody Car lumbar pillow from PB as well. I just love how nostalgic it is.



I made this little Scotch pine wreath to hang on my tobacco basket! 




More tree, because, why not. We got a different type of tree this year, it is a White Spruce. I am totally not team Balsam Fir anymore. They just don't have the strong branches I need for  larger ornaments, and I really like the spaces between branches so you can really see each ornament. I think this reminds me of the Spode tree, and I'm not mad about it.



A little greenery on top of my mirror...





...and also over the french door in the front entryway...



In the dining room I did a little tree up with some decorations from my GH (Gramma Helen) She gave me a box of pear ornaments and a bird (who was slightly mangey and has been since retired) and told me she like to put them all in a bowl for an easy holiday decoration: a Partridge in a Pear Tree! I decided to one-up GH and put them on a tree. 





The bird has been replaced with one that was a gift from a close friend.



Our holiday centerpiece is the Advent Wreath I made using an old tool caddy, greens, and Satsuma mandarins I bought at Wegmans. We have been eating them, so it's slowly losing its charm. Very Colonial Williamsburg inspired.








I have a wee collection of Byer's Choice Carolers. They're singing from the top of the hutch in the dining room this year. My mom and all my friends' moms growing up had these so they are very nostalgic for me. We even have one to represent our son and Goldendoodle. Dead ringer! I love that "I'm" carrying a topiary and wearing a plaid skirt...very ME.







A few trees and some greens spruce up the back entry.


Our Advent calendar is in the back hall on the pantry door this year. It usually is in the living room, and I always forgot to move the mouse. Right on top of it this year! There's a  fun story with this Advent Calendar! This was my husband's when he was growing up, purchased from Avon. My sister and I had the same exact one, our moms both had an Avon lady! My sister bought one on eBay for her family so now we all have one! 



A little sprucing in the downstairs powder room...hey there, Spode tree.


Another GH holiday decoration :-)


A Putz house and some trees hanging out with my weird "dinosaur" plant in the kitchen. (the plant is a crested euphorbia, and she's very low maintenance)


I made room in our open shelves to display our Christmas dishes this year.


I #putawreathonit.




This Christmas dish was also GH's. I think it was my great grandmother's. She only saved things she really liked when she downsized so I had to keep this, too.




The ducks on the kitchen shelf were feeling festive, too.


I love just adding a few greens and red berries to a shelf to add some cheer.




The upstairs hall...


In the guest room I added the sleeping Santa bank, which was always a favorite when I was little. My sister had one just like it that lived in her room year round.


Here's the shelf in the nursery. R's elephant got a sassy bow, and I added a tree, some berries, and a flocked pinecone for a little cheer in here!



...a few twinkle lights in our room on the almond branches...


I found some vintage crèche "characters" this fall while I was antiquing. I just love them.



And that's Holiday 2015 in our home!!! I hope to share some photos of our outdoor decorations in another post...that is..if I get those cookies baked and decorated!! In the meantime, I've shared several images on my Instagram, so check that out!! 

Thanks for stopping by, and Happy Holidays!! 
xoxo, jamie


Comments

  1. I am so in love with all of your holiday decorations - especially the ones from Grandma H! I remember seeing them in her house when I was a little girl - I'm glad they're on display in your home :) Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts