Lockers


I finished off a small project I wanted to share! These lockers belonged to my husband's grandfather. He salvaged them from a school and used them in his shop to store things. When they needed a new home, my husband wanted them for the shop he has in his garage. He has since decided he didn't want them there (space issues) and they needed a new home. But they still hold sentimental value to him, so I worked to find a spot in the house that would work for us.

I decided a little makeover with paint and they might look good in the dining room! Our dining room is adjacent to our entryway. While I cannot have a real mudroom in this house, having these lockers right by the door will be super handy with the kiddos gear. I'm already finding it fun and it has only been a few hours since we got them in the room! I think I need my own locker for my purse ;-)






Here are the lockers right as I was beginning to paint them. (Thankfully I remembered a before pic! Almost forgot!) I used clear coat in matte to help seal and cover the rusty spots before I started painting the white. I used Benjamin Moore Classic Grey in a flat finish, which is the wall color in this room. I wanted to keep it simple and not bring in other colors. I used painters tape to tape off the hardware I wanted to keep plain...the number plates and the handle on the full length locker. It worked well, I just have a few touch ups around the number plates. I used a regular roller and a brush, not spray paint. I feel too out of control with spray paint!












I'm already using one locker to keep our diapering goodies (wipes, changing pad) I took this photo to show that I decided not to paint the inside. I didn't think I could get consistent results and make it look good. 






The view from the kitchen.



A little safety note, they are quite tippy so we have them screwed to the wall. We have a three year old climber in the house so definitely needed to do that. 

I wanted to share this project because I feel like lockers are so easy to come by on Craigslist or at antique shows. This is a good example of what you can do with them to make them work in your home! Who doesn't love a little stylish but super functional storage? Let me know what you think!!!

xoxo jsm

Comments

Popular Posts