#lifestylesmithtravels: Colonial Williamsburg & Yorktown





I just came home from a wonderful trip to Colonial Williamsburg with my son and my parents (my poor husband was stuck home working.) We just needed to see sunshine and green things growing after such a long and cold winter in the Northeast. We also wanted it to be drivable with a toddler in one day. Williamsburg was perfect! It is a place we visited a few times as a family on vacation when I was young. It was just the break I needed and was super inspiring.
Before I get into inspiration I want to sidebar about the toddler-friendliness of CW. Well basically, it isn't. But it can be with a little team work and planning. We found some of my little guy's interests in animals, music, and oddly-flags-which he calls "Ess" (?) There's plenty of sheep, cows, chickens, squirrels, flags and birds to keep him on the look-out from his stroller. He especially loved Great Hopes Plantation. And he absolutely loved the Fife & Drum bands and got his own Toot-toot and Boom as souvenirs. My little one man Colonial Band.

We're lucky that he likes going for walks and can nap in his stroller. If you want to go in and see some of the historic homes, trades, and shops you'll need a buddy that's not interested (Boppa did a lot of hanging out on benches-thanks dad!) or a baby-wearing device. The buildings are just not stroller friendly.

Okay. So back to inspiration! I took mucho photos and shared a lot on Instagram but really wanted to share everything in one place and travel journal a little. This is by no means an all-out Colonial Williamsburg travel guide. Or a traveling with children guide. Just a little journal.


GREAT HOPES PLANTATION 








Great Hopes Plantation is just outside the main Revolutionary city of Williamsburg.  You walk past it on the way into town from the visitor's center. It was quite popular with little R. There were cows  and chickens, and we let him trot around a little. They're also working on building a new building for the town's market area the old-fashioned way. Pre-building the post and beam structure and fitting it (no nails) before moving it into town. Pretty cool.

COLONIAL WILLIAMSBURG
the Revolutionary City



So much pretty architecture everywhere! I'd live in any house there.



The trim looks white here, but it's really more of a cream and I loved the muted effect it gave the color palate of the house. I enjoyed looking at the colors of the buildings in town, so many great ideas.  I never thought to have the shutters the same color as the siding!

These are bird bottles, the colonial style bird house.  They're all over town and I just love them.


My mom and I took a tour of the Governor's Palace, which is called the Palace because the people jokingly referred to it as a Palace because it was so lavish a home for a governor.  I'm more interested in the common people's homes and workplaces...I like more rustic and country style...but there was a lot to love at the Palace.



I was crushing hard on the molding throughout.

I also was feeling the rugs, especially the blue one on the right.  (But that's because I have a thing with blue.) The pink and green one is so 80's preppy.
There were so many cool maps that I wanted to stare at and study.  I am on the lookout for a cool map for our son's "big boy room." 

There are so many beautiful fabrics to see throughout town.  This is an elaborate bed canopy at the Palace that I liked. See also: molding. ;-)


 Being the savvy merchants that they are in Colonial Williamsburg, you of course can purchase these fabrics. This picture is from the Mary Dickinson store.  I'm pretty sure that bed canopy fabric is on the second from the bottom.  It was $12/yard. Not too bad, I liked this one below for a potential pillow cover for some of the pillows on our sectional but didn't pull the trigger.

Please note that it is blue. Catching on yet? 





A round window at the Bruton Church.


So many neat alleys to check out.


On our last night, we ate at one of the historic taverns, Josiah Chowning. It was great! 
My son had an adorable colonial inspired high chair.  It had a caned seat and belt leather strap.  So cute.  I tried to get a photo of him in it, but he wasn't on board with the idea. He did, however, love love the guy playing music while we ate.


The upstairs of Chowning's is adorable, it has dormers and so much charm.  It reminded me of the upstairs of my house.  Hello, beautiful chair! And, the view out the window was pretty quaint, too.



I enjoyed a Williamsburg craft beer called Old Mum in a salt glazed mug. I love these mugs! You can purchase your mug for $25 (like I said, ever the great merchants) I didn't, as I figured I'd be shot for spending $25 on a mug. The beer was delicious!

HISTORIC YORKTOWN



 We spent some time in nearby historic Yorktown, with lots to learn about the history of the port town and its significance during the Revolution.  We had fun walking around exploring!

This is the Memorial to the Yorktown surrender of the British, its old and tall!



The beach and historic port area. Huge bridge over the York River that breaks apart to let taller ships through...unfortunately didn't get to see it in action. This is where ships unloaded the majority of imports to Virginia. 



I love the pattern and wear on the bricks. This little sign says "Welcome to the Nut House," which is not historically original to the home.  ;-) Like many of the homes in town it is owned and occupied by a modern family.




We had a delicious lunch at this restaurant on the water near the bridge called Water Street Grille.  This isn't a food blog, but check this place out if you ever go.  Beer flights, lots of unique beers, and just great food. I tried my son's grilled cheese and french fries...If I were to have a last meal on earth before I die it would be that. With a side of their cole slaw.


Spring was springing everywhere!

 Shutter color!

This house is in no way colonial or especially historic but I want a gate like this in our front yard, and have to give them props for their wonderful curb appeal.  I'm a sucker for a bungalow. And  blue.




I'm going to do a separate post about Williamsburg's gardens with lots to share.  I hope you found some style inspiration today!

-jamie


















Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts