#lifestylesmithtravels Colonial Gardens at Colonial Williamsburg




COLONIAL GARDENS





Let's just preface this post with a statement.  I'm a little obsessed; The gardens in Williamsburg are just gorgeous. I've been getting into gardening since we bought our house 4 years ago and learning little by little.  I've noticed that the more gardens I look at the more I learn.  I like to admire gardens.  I'm getting old! And, I was in heaven in Williamsburg! So much style and inspiration!


The Colonial Nursery is a quaint little garden shop that sells seeds and a few other gardening related items, as well as decor.  


This cute little Robin's nest almost came home with me.  But I kept my purchases to seeds, and spent the rest of my time admiring the nearby garden.  I was in love with the cold frames (used to to protect seedlings from frost before the weather is truly ready) they made using old windows. 



The gardeners can take the windows off to work with the plants, or as the weather improves.



Here is an open cold frame. I love the little handmade trellis!





These are some great ideas for trellises and stylish, too!

 Obsessed with this little fence. I am seriously considering trying to make these myself.


Old-fashioned gardening tools looking picturesque by the garden shed.


If you follow my Instagram feed @lifestylesmith you're probably aware of my loving feelings for succulents. 





Is cloche envy a thing? I think I have it. The Colonial Garden had over a dozen cloches covering delicate seedlings. 







The tulips were blooming in the garden behind Christiana Campbell's Tavern. I liked how the Johnny Jump Ups were planted under the tulips for another layer of color. The border beds were flowers and the main part of the garden was fruits and vegetables set up in a beautiful symmetrical way: Four quadrants, each with a white pyramid trellis.

Something like this trellis would be fabulous for my beans and peas!


The beds were all planted, some already sprouting up!

I love these weighted balls you see on the gates throughout Colonial Williamsburg...they make them self-closing! The irregular sized boards of the fence give it such a country feel. The garden next door to Christians Campbell's beyond the fence was all topiaries!


Another garden on our tour. I want to incorporate some symmetry like this in our vegetable garden. Love the bricks!

Chippy white fences, quaint outbuildings, and bricks bricks bricks!!



This little garden has a brook running through it and a sweet little bridge. And another great chippy white fence!


The dogwoods were blooming at the Governor's Palace, beautiful!



This is a bee skep.  It's the old-fashioned style of baskets used in bee-keeping.  I read that beekeepers no longer use this style because the hive has to be destroyed to harvest honey, and you can't medicate against mites. I actually bought a skep to put in my garden because i think they're so quaint. I wonder if anyone will move in? It looks super cute!


Our garden tour was fun and inspiring for sure! So much great style! I hope you've enjoyed my photos and what caught my eye.  Comment below if you wish!
Thanks for stopping by!

xoxo jamie




Comments

Popular Posts