Long Distance Mini Makeover!

Long Distance Mini Makeover!!!
I have longtime friend, or rather lifetime friend who sadly lives quite far away.  We have a lot of fun iMessaging often about kid and life things.  She makes me laugh a lot. Thank god for technology and the modern age! She reached out to me recently with a design dilemma and sent me some pictures saying...


"This room is too dark.."



"Should I put a floor lamp by this chair?"
"...or a table lamp on this table??"

I needed a few more photos to get a full grasp of the room (not all included for her sake-hello she has kids!) But after that I had an idea. How about neither!! Just looking at the chair and the table I felt bad.  They both looked so lonely! Why not get them together? I also felt like that mirror was great, but just really over-powering her table and its pretty legs.


Poor lonely chair.
Poor lonely table.


So I whipped up a little sketch of what I was thinking and sent it along with my vision.

She executed my silly sketch flawlessly! This lamp is a fill-in for the potential new lamp. After seeing it in reality I wanted the lamp on the right not blocking the mirror.

Presto! Why I think this works is it created another space in the room, almost like a desk or reading nook, that helps break up the larger room.  It also fills out that large wall very well making the room feel more balanced. We tried it with matching chairs on either side of the table but felt this worked best. Don't feel bad for the wall where the chair used to be...I suggested an over-sized basket for pillows and throws that could fill the space and add some texture...as well as great storage. (You all know about my #basketproblem.) I think the important style lesson here is to take time to rethink your space and consider something you may not have before. A fresh set of eyes sometimes helps! (Or as in my case, experiencing living in a series of tiny apartments that required a lot of creativity!)

Here is the final product with her new lamp from Pottery Barn! We're both in love with her new space! Now it is this great spot in her home to come and relax and sip some wine!

xoxo jamie







Comments

  1. You are a wizard! I love this. Perfect change with the lamp at the final stage! Reminds me of moving furniture around at 46 Prince and how much fun we had. PS this is an amazing space! - Love CMR :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts