Summer Décor Part 2: Hutch Styling







My dining room hutch is a huge focal point in our sort-of-small dining room. My husband and I purchased it together, our first antique. I liked it because it was so unique and had such a great, simple look. It's on the shorter side...about chest height. It was probably built to fit in a specific spot in someone's home, under an eave perhaps, or against a low wall. I just love its quirkiness. We have a beautiful counterheight dining table that we had in our previous home (that may be a little too big for the room.) I usually like to balance it out and make a big statement to help the hutch really be grounded and the focus in the room. 



I wish I had a further-pulled back shot of this without anything on it, but here's a little glimpse of how bare it looks un-styled.






So the styling begins! I knew I wanted the goodies on the left as they were. I love the combination of this newly acquired green vase (a gift, it's a French antique) with my bougainvillea branches (a Pottery Barn purchase) It's also close to our anniversary so I thought it would be nice to display my silver wine cooler for some celebratory Champs. (very old Oneida Silversmith's Made in America) Of course, what better season to display our various sea shell finds than summer? But it took a lot of "futsing" to get the right hand side right. I started with this basket that I'm in love with from Williamsburg and some candlesticks that were wedding gifts (Tiffany's). It wasn't doing it for me.

So I tried without the basket. Kind of felt bare. I liked the texture the basket brought, but maybe not the color. Looking back at this now, I don't 100% mind it. Haha.

So I tried another basket. This basket's color was great with the vase. But what would I put in it? Kind of seemed odd. I'm into things functioning, not just looking good. I really would rather have something with a candle..and maybe a different basket? 

This basket felt more on the mark. Great texture, it has a beachy vibe (it's called the Beachcomber collection! How much beachier could you get?)  that complements the sea shells. Now...how to fill it? I tried some orchids just kind of lying in there. Not enough.

I added a Mason jar lantern to the mix. Still not enough.

Here I decided maybe a little height to balance out the green vase. This white pitcher with orchids (all old Pottery Barn. The pitcher is the Elise pitcher. I love it more than you should probably love a pitcher. I also have the large vase from the same collection in our bedroom. It's very tuscany-ish with a feminine vibe..but... I digress) 

Starting to feel it. I added a little mercury glass lantern to the basket that I have a set of LED string lights in so I can turn on while we're having a meal.

I started to doubt myself and think the orchids were too much. I also changed up the left side and added a set  of ceramic love birds and a glass of rocks collected on our honeymoon in Martha's Vineyard. Kind of an "anniversary vignette" I decided the shells were better and brought back the flowers!

This is the final choice! I think I achieved the beachy summer vibe I wanted and a lot of interest to the top of the hutch to help balance the room.
So a review and check in from my first Summer Décor post

"...my categories baskets, botanicals, natural elements, vases, candles/candleholders, and decorative accessories. I like to use a mix of these throughout. It is all about the mix!"

I hit up every category except a decorative accessory (although I think the shells could count as a crossover natural element/decorative accessory #justsaying)

Why I think this works:

  • It includes a basket. And I love baskets. The basket adds a great element of texture, as well as some horizontal interest. 
  • The shells scream beachy/summer and go really well with the earthy look of the vase.
  • The vase complements the color of the room and the color and choice of botanical.
  • The candles add ambience for evening meals.



A close-up of the left side.

A close-up of the right side. I like that this is sort of a grab and go for outdoor entertaining on our deck. Instant lighting and centerpiece for the table outside! Pack it back up after dinner put it back on the shelf! Functionality!




I hope you enjoyed entering my crazy styling mind for a bit! Thanks for stopping by!

x-jamie


Comments

  1. I love that this was your first antique purchase with your husband! It looks great - makes me want to go buy a basket... or 5 haha!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts