New Living Room Furniture Arrangement



I am really happy with our latest furniture arrangement in the living room. We made the decision at Christmas to move the television from next to the fireplace where it was wall-mounted to directly across from the fireplace. From there it was a domino effect! But I am really happy with how this room functions and looks.
As a result, we have decided to sell our Pottery Barn PB Comfort Sectional. We like being able to move things and change it up, and the sectional was pretty limiting. For the moment, I have removed the wedge and it is just an extra long sofa, and it is already so much better. I would say we could just keep it like this, but we are storing the wedge in the basement and it is HUUUUGE. Like, what else would you do with it? 

I think trying the sectional without the wedge will be a great way for us to live with it this way for a bit and help us narrow in on what we need out of our next sofa...would a chaise work? would an ottoman work? how long does it need to be or can it be? do we like this style or do we want something else? I don't want to rush into it and hate it!


I have always wanted to focal point of the room to be the fireplace and not the television. I would be fine with it mounted over the fireplace, but my husband is completely against it. Something about "viewing angle." He's all about the technology, speakers, ...cable management. His department. So I don't argue. With window placement, this was the next logical spot, other than to the right of the fireplace. 

The television stand is from American Signature and is a sort of rustic/industrial piece that is meant to be in a bedroom, the drawers for clothing. We had been using it in our room and did a little "shop the house" when we got sick of our other stand and brought it down here. The drawers are perfect for the kids toys, and it is much less wobbly than the rustic hutch we had before (we've got a climber, folks) I think if we were to buy a stand now we would have chosen differently because our taste has evolved so much since we purchased it 6 years ago. I still love it and the wood color works with other pieces in the room. And the functionality is amazing. Currently there are two vintage soda crates tucked under there because I'm not using them. 


This room is big so you would think that arrangement in here would be a breeze...but its NARROW. Like a bowling alley. At Christmas, the sectional was all the way against the window with the left arm coming in front of the other window. It was just too far away from the TV and the chairs. Sitting there, you felt super disconnected from the other people in the room. Now, I've pulled it so it has its feet on the carpet and has created a cozy seating area. We both sit on the couch way more often now. The space behind the sofa still has our big basket of blankets, a small table with my fiddle fig on it, and a few little baskets of toys. 





Molly Grace having some teepee time. Or "tempee" as her brother calls it.



My farm table has been a great "coffee table." I love that it is kind of the focal point of the room, your eye is drawn to it for sure! Full disclosure: my husband and I eat dinner together in the living room. I know. For shame. But this table is where we eat and unwind once the kids are down for the night. Maybe someday we'll be proper and sit at the dining table. This table is also great when we entertain and have snacks out because the 65 pound giant goldendoodle can't reach our treats! You can spy the tobacco basket above. It is now where the TV used to be.



We are really loving this arrangement! I think the big lessons here to pass along are to really continue to shop your own home if you can before buying something new. You might already own the perfect piece.  Make your home work for your family! We have been able to max out storage here with cupboards, drawers, and baskets. When play time is over, everything gets put away and the room looks adult again. There is still a lot of  open space to play. We have really made this room function for our family the way it is now. Don't be afraid to move things around. My grandmother was notorious for changing things around and my mom thinks I got it from her. Mom would wake up for school and the living room would be completely changed around. Gramma and her late night shenanigans! I'm not that bad. I just like a little freshness every once and awhile!

What do you think? Do you like the changes! Let me know!

xo j

Comments

Popular Posts